Monday, November 28, 2011

Death - Dream Interpretation


Even before I watched this documentary on death by Terry Pratchett (Choosing to Die: Sir Terry Pratchett Comes to Terms with His Death), I've been dreaming about death for a couple of nights now. Two of them were very vivid and I'd like to share them with you here as I try to make sense of everything.

First Dream

I was with my husband and our friends and we were out in the street, dancing to some party music. All of a sudden, people became very frantic and we all ran to the same direction, all the way to a narrow, side street. Just before we turned to a corner, Japanese soldiers dressed like they did during World War II suddenly appeared and shot all of us. I can still remember the feeling of those bullets tearing through my gut. Everyone of us fell to the ground including my husband beside me. As I was losing consciousness, I can still hear Peter's faint voice describing to our dying friends how I was feeling, how painful it was and how I was slowly dying. I woke up out of breath. Apparently, I was really trying not to breath as well . That was so scary!

Second Dream

This one was a lot weirder than the first. I was in a bedroom that wasn't ours and I was with my husband who doesn't look like my husband at all. Then two men came pounding at our door. When they got in, both of them tried to rape me. One of the men almost succeeded until he turned into a dog, then the dog tried to rape me too! Somehow, we escaped. My "husband" was able to trap them inside the room. Then he started pouring gasoline on them while making fun of them at the same time. When he finally lit the fire for them to burn, the fire got wild and both of us were cught in the fire too. Then I woke up feeling disoriented.

What does this all mean?

I consulted my usual reference for dreams, dreammoods.com. It says:

Gun
To dream that someone is shooting you with a gun suggests that you are experiencing some confrontation in your waking life. You feel victimized in a situation or that you are being targeted.
Maybe because someone close to me threatened my life, the life of my hubby and even our future child. It happened last summer and until now, I'm still trying to heal the wounds.

Death
To dream of your own death indicates a transitional phase in your life. You are becoming more enlightened or spiritual. Alternatively, you are trying desperately to escape the demands of your daily life.
Die
To dream that you die in your dream symbolizes inner changes, transformation, self-discovery and positive development that is happening within you or your life. You are undergoing a transitional phase and are becoming more enlightened or spiritual. Although such a dream may bring about feelings of fear and anxiety, it is no cause for alarm as it is often considered a positive symbol. Dreams of experiencing your own death usually means that big changes are ahead for you. You are moving on to new beginnings and leaving the past behind. These changes does not necessarily imply a negative turn of events. Metaphorically, dying can be seen as an end or a termination to your old ways and habits. So, dying does not always mean a physical death, but an ending of something.
In a way, I can relate to this meaning. I am doing my best to turn my back to old habits of depression, unhealthy eating, negative thoughts, etc. I am planning for some major changes in my life, not just health-wise but financially and spiritually as well.

On a negative note, to dream that you die may represent involvement in deeply painful relationships or unhealthy, destructive behaviors. You may feel depressed or feel strangled by a situation or person in your waking life. Perhaps your mind is preoccupied with someone who is terminally ill or dying. Alternatively, you may be trying to get out of some obligation, responsibility or other situation. You are desperately trying to escape from the demands of your daily life.
There have been a couple of painful and emotional relationships. I did feel strangled and distressed about the whole thing. But in general, my life isn't very demanding per se, although there are some demands which I'd like to escape from for good. I just don't think it will happen, ever.

To see someone dying in your dream signifies that your feelings for that person are dead or that a significant change/loss is occurring in your relationship with that person. Alternatively, you may want to repress that aspect of yourself that is represented by the dying person

A part of me has already erased that person (who threatened us) in my life. But a part of me is still holding on. Maybe that's why I am having recurring death dreams. Perhaps, my subconscious is telling me to truly let go. Even my closest friends say so.

Fire
Depending on the context of your dream, to see fire in your dream can symbolize destruction, passion, desire, illumination, purification, transformation, enlightenment, or anger. It may suggest that something old is passing and something new is entering into your life.

The dream may be a metaphor for someone who is "fiery". It represents your drive, motivation, and creative energy. Alternatively, the dream may be warning you of your dangerous or risky activities. You are literally "playing with fire".

To dream that you are being burned by fire indicates that your temper is getting out of control. Some issue or situation is burning you up inside.

To dream that a house is on fire indicates that you need to undergo some transformation.
This meaning is similar to death's. I am undergoing some major transformation emotionally, health-wise, psychologically, spiritually. I am also once again igniting my passion for things I really love so I won't get burnt out anymore.

Burning
Alternatively, it may suggest that you need to take time off for yourself and relax. Perhaps you are you feeling "burned out" or "burned up".

To dream that you or someone is being burned alive suggests that you are being consumed by your own ambition.
I definitely need to take some time off. And I hope to only focus on things that truly give me joy.

Rape
To see a rape being committed in your dream denotes sexual dysfunction or uncertainty.
The rape was not successful in my dream. It was just an attempt to rape me. But perhaps, it has something to do with the issue of pregnancy. I'm still not sure if I ever want to get pregnant. I just hope then when I do, I'd really be ready and won't feel like I am being forced into the situation.



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post