Thursday, February 4, 2010

Tarot Card - The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck

Tarot Sutra Deck

Since 2004, I have been using my Tarot Sutra Deck when I do my tarot reading. My husband bought it for me after looking practically everywhere. It was the only tarot deck available at that time. Then last Christmas, one of my bestfriends gave me a new deck as a gift. It's the The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck. It's what I use now in my readings, unless I want something specific to lovemaking and sex. ^_^

The Rider-Waite Tarot Deck

The Rider-Waite tarot deck is the most well-known Tarot deck that is being used today in the world of the English-speaking people (for Latin and other foreign countries, they use the Tarot de Marseille deck). Alternative names are used for this such as: the Rider-Waite-Smith, Waite-Smith, Waite-Colman Smith or simply the Rider deck. The card illustrator was Pamela Colman Smith from the instructions of academic and mystic A. E. Waite, and published by the Rider Company.

I noticed that the drawings and images are very simple, almost like drawn by a child as compared to my Sutra deck, hoewever, the details and backgrounds do hold a wealth of symbolism. The subjects remain close to the earliest decks, but usually have added details.

Significantly, Waite had the Christian imagery of older tarot decks' cards toned down—the "Pope" card became the "Hierophant", the "Papess" became the "High Priestess". The Minor Arcana are also, as in the earlier Sola Busca Tarot, fully illustrated with designs created by Smith. The chief aesthetic objection to this deck is the crude printing of colours in the original: several decks, such as the Universal Waite deck, simply copy the Smith line drawings, but with more sophisticated coloring."
It was in December 1909 when the cards were originally published. The 19th century magician and occultist Eliphas Levi had a big influence in the symbols used.
In 1910, The Key to the Tarot by A.E. Waite was published, providing an overview of the traditions and history behind the cards, criticism of various interpretations, and extensive descriptions of their symbols. In 1911, a revised version, The Pictorial Key to the Tarot was published featuring 78 black and white plates of each card in the deck. The Rider-Waite tarot deck has been vastly influential in the development of later divinatory tarot decks to the extent that many are called "Rider-Waite clones" to indicate that they are easily read by those familiar with Rider-Waite.[citation needed] Examples of Rider-Waite "clones" (some arguably so) include the Universal Waite tarot deck, Golden Tarot, Aquarian tarot deck, Nigel Jackson Tarot, Gilded Tarot, Golden Rider, and many more. This deck has also influenced the terminology used by English-speaking tarot users such that English translations of traditional French or Italian decks often use the nomenclature of the Rider Waite deck even when traditional decks often pre-date the Rider Waite by great number of years. The Rider-Waite deck has been used in many television programs and motion pictures, notably in the James Bond motion picture Live and Let Die. (The deck was used along with a different deck created by artist Fergus Hall specifically for the film.) The Rider-Waite deck has been used as an animated video backdrop in Madonna's Re-Invention World Tour 2004 for the song "Hollywood".

I recently did a reading using my new deck. The spread I laid out was the DAILY SPREAD. This is a good way to get to know the cards on a daily basis. Apart from drawing just one card for the day to see what occurs, this spread require your input and will allow you to have direct experience of the cards' meanings via self-questioning.

The card in the middle is card #1 . The card at the left side is card #2. The card at the right side is card #3. What does this spread mean?

Card #1: The important aspects of the day.
Card #2: Personal issues that require attention.
Card #3: What to look out for; feelings desires or reactions that could arise.


Based on my spread above, here are the meanings of the each card:


Card #1: Five of Cups

Generally, this card denotes loss, disappointment, emotional confusion and regret. But there is a positive side to these things. Look at the figure on the middle card. He is so focused on the three overturned cups representing the idea of loss, that he has not noticed the two standing cups, representing insights and opportunities. Rather like "Death", this card suggests that it is timely to let go of attachments and to embrace change and what is here and other opportunities that are coming. I guess, with the coming of the New Year and the resolutions, my resolutions in particular, that go with it, the card is just reminding me of the projects that I need to focus on. I should let go of the fact that so many years have gone by without accomplishing any of those personal projects that I've always wanted to do. I should stop regretting the time that has passed and focus on the now. These projects are detailed in my Wanderlust Blog which helps me stay on the path towards accomplishment and personal fulfillment.

Card #2: Four of Wands

This second card, according to the nature of the spread, is all about personal issues that require my attention. The Four of Wands card denote celebration, joy, spontaneity and freedom. It heralds a time for rejoicing and celebrating! This card tells me that I should give attention to my inner child, that I should let go of emotional baggage, free myself from others' expectations, let my inner child out and indulge in more fun. I'm loving this card! This what I actually told Carelle and RR when we went out with them the past two consecutive weekends. I told them I deserve tpo come out and party once again. Enough of this hermit kind of living! Thanks to Jem, my bestfriend who led me out into a wild backpacking Asian trip last month, I was enlightened. And this card is telling me to continue just that --- to enjoy and celebrate life... my life! After all, I only live once. ^_^

Card #3: Seven of Cups

According to the spread, this card should tell me clues regarding feelings and issues that could arise in the near future. The Seven of Cups is all about self-indulgence and having too much choice, which I'm afraid, I am actually experiencing from time to time. I always do what I want because the things that I want to do make me happy. And these things are so many... so varied... sometimes I get confused on what to focus on first that I tend to do some or all of them all at the same time. That's why I call myself the master multitasker coz I always think that I can do it all. But perhaps, I ought to be a little cautious and little more focused. I might be too overwhelmed by the many choices I have. I should be able to choose what to focus on at a given tmoment and be able to commit to that. Thanks to this card, that's what I'll surely do.

Until my next reading!

~~~oOo~~~

Should you wish to have me do a spread for you, just email me at jenjuan_1999@yahoo.com with a subject line: TAROT CARD READING. Tell me a little something about yourself and your situation. Then let me know what kind of spread you want me to do. Would it be about love, career, daily life, etc? And I'll go ahead and send you a reading. I only ask for a little donation of $2 of Php100.00 which you can send to my paypal at the same email address.

Love and light!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails

Share This Post